We’ve received enough funding to begin construction on the community garden, but this will only cover the bare essentials (aka, phase 1). We have applied for many grants and since we don’t know when or if they will be approved, we’ve divided the build into four phases so that we can use the money as it comes in. We will progress through each phase once we receive enough funding to do so. Here is what is included in each phase:
Phase 1 – Build raised garden boxes, fill with soil, landscape pathways
We are planning to do the building for phase 1 on the weekend of May 14 & 15 and will need volunteers to help with construction. We plan to create a way for volunteers to sign up and we will let you know when that is available. Thanks everyone for your continued interest in this project!
As the community garden progresses towards our build date, we are ready to begin taking reservations for garden boxes for this season. If you’re interested in reserving a garden box, please follow the blue link below to get your name on the list. We are not taking payments yet but I’ve included pricing below as general information.
8′ x 4′ boxes are $45 per season
4′ x 4′ boxes are $22.50 per season
Since the garden will be run as a sub-committee of MOCA, we are operating as a non profit and all rental fees will go into maintaining the garden. We are also dialoging with MOCA to see if a community association membership will be required to rent a bed.
We’ve received our approval for the garden from the city of Calgary. Thank you to everyone for your help so far.
Our next steps include securing a license of occupation for the land (which will be negotiated between the city and MOCA), and fundraising to cover our startup costs. The build date will be dependent on when we receive funding, and could be in 2022 or 2023 based on when funding is received.
After consultation, we have decided to pursue another location in the community, the south-west corner of Lynnwood Park. We have already secured approval from the adjacent residents and confirmed that the Bantam Stampeders Football team doesn’t foresee any conflicts.
Our next steps for this location are:
Obtain approval from MOCA
Obtain a soil test from the City of Calgary for the location